zaterdag 10 maart 2012

Looking back; WTF just happened?! project Year 2

A couple of days ago I e-mailed Tarek for some help and guidance. I was really stuck and I didn't know where to go. With the reply came some valuable feedback. He recommended me to look back on older school projects and see if I could figure out where I could take this project.

I looked back and one project sprang to mind immediately. The WTF project. This was a second years projects, where we were allowed to do anything we wanted. So we (Marc, Niek and I) decided to do an old scool point and click adventure.

So why exactly does this project stand out for me? I guess it was the zany humor, the great characters and the overall fun I had while producing artwork for this quirky little adventure. It has a very stylistic 'animated' vibe to it, which always appealed to me.

Last thursday I was talking to Marc (same one) about our experiences with this project and I said that I really liked working on it. Mainly because it was so driven by its narrative and the accompanying characters. Marc told me that approach is called 'Top down' design in game designer terms; beginning with the decorative layer (the story, the characters etc.) and build your game core around these elements. A very interesting angle and I think it really helps to focus the visual elements of the game and keep them consistent around a single component; The story and its characters. This last thought bit is interesting, and maybe a new window to new research opportunities.

**Last but not least, last friday I interviewed a couple of animation students. When I get my notebook back I'll upload the answers. Quite some interesting information surfaced from these short interviews.** 

Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten